Sunday, November 23, 2008

Black Friday

It's almost here... the biggest shopping day of the year: BLACK FRIDAY! To me, it's not about Christmas. It's Capitalism, baby!

I started getting the emails in early October. Blackfriday.info and bfads.net are the two I subscribe to (blackfriday.info is my favorite). Last week, I printed off the lists from the stores I am most interested in visiting on Friday: Office Depot, KMart, Best Buy, Office Max. Of course, the Wal-Mart Black Friday ad just came out two days ago. [Wal-Mart has a 50" plasma Samsung television for $798! We won't be taking advantage of that deal as we grabbed one last year on a similar deal.]

I don't know if you're aware of this, but many retailers have been advertising PRE-Black Friday sales this year. Bad economy = earlier "Christmas" season (you know, it started before Halloween this year) = more sale shopping days. Of course, if you don't have the money to spend on the great deals, what good are they?

This year, we're not spending much on toys and the like for the children. Not only is the economy affecting my family's wallet, but we've also [finally] come to the realization that our kids don't need every toy out there. Not to mention, lots of toys make cleaning up far more difficult for me - and the less I have to clean up, the better! We will get one big present for the entire family (which - and this message is strictly for my husband - we will NOT open until Christmas morning) and a couple of smaller things for each of the children.

Here's the other rub for my family during the Advent/Christmas season: all three of my children and my husband have birthdays between November 1 and December 31. So many presents...so little $$$.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya "capitalism, baby!" Capitalism is our middle name around here. I also share your feelings about having to constantly pick up so many toys. In the past we have spent much $$ for toys only for the parts to get missplaced or broken so soon after the big day! We are actually going to forgo gifts this year and spend that money on buying funiture and a flat screen TV (mental note about Wal-Mart! LOL) for our den that will be used my the kids.

Rhonda said...

I'll be getting up early on Friday too. I actually look forward to it although I don't usually like getting up early at all.
I have two with birthdays at this time too and it makes things a little harder so the sales are always welcome. :)