Tuesday, March 31, 2009

So excited!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! In just a matter of weeks, Casey will be finished with first grade! I spent about 2 hours going through all of her textbooks and planning the remainder of the school year - quite a surprising feat for me since I usually do lesson plans one week at a time. Last night, an ambitious bug gave me a bite, so I scratched! Maybe I should have been planning like this all along. That's not to say I don't plan or at least have a firm idea of what I want to teach, but I've never had something so concrete.

NOTE: I used the word concrete, but I wrote in pencil. Does that mean I'm not completely committed or that I'm just allowing room for change just in case of something unexpected or exciting?

I'm also ready to order our books for the new school year. I've received some used books, but the bulk of what I want either cannot be found used or the used book seller is WAY overestimating the value of the book. (Have you ever seen the movie The Castle? "She wants $25 for The Well-Educated Mind? She's dreamin'!")

However, before the school year ends we'll:
  • Dissect a frog
  • See the Tut exhibit
  • Have 3 concert performances and a piano recital
  • Read, read, read
Oh! I'm also writing down ideas for our yearbook. Thanks to my friend, Nikowa, for inspiring me!

3 comments:

the striped rose said...

Congratulations! I think you have some Greek books of mine. Let me know when you finish with them - I am excited to start planning next year! And I have tons of Middle Ages books when you are ready! ;) We have The Teaching Company's Early, High, and Late Middle Ages lecture DVDs. Jerry and I re-started this series last week. That is (24 x 3) 1/2-hour lectures. If you want to borrow some, you may need to get started!

Have you checked out Jerry's blog?

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I'm glad you like our yearbook idea!!!

We're pretty much done too, but we're tying up some loose ends in prep for the C.A.T. test. LOL

Anonymous said...

Yay! Casey! Congratulations!